Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Daily Chuckles and a "Happy New Year"

Hello!
I know that it has been awhile! So many things to update you on. However, I am about to head on out and visit a palace on this leisurely Sunday. So, here are a few gems that keep me laughing in the classroom every day.

Harry: Teacher! I want to change my English name.
kp: Oh! Um, why do you want to change your name, Harry? Harry Potter! Prince Harry!
Harry: I would like to sound more American, so when I go to USA, I will have American English name!
kp: Well, what are you hoping to change it to?
Harry: Teacher, I want to be Barack Obama

After reading a storybook about a little boy who shrinks to the size of a flea and explores his dog, his bathroom and the plumbing system in his house, we have a somewhat Oedipal class discussion.
kp: Oh wow, boys and girls! Isn't Andrew a lucky little boy?! If you could shrink down very very small and explore something, where would you go?
Matthew: Teacher! I would like to visit a very big cookie so that I could eat it and it would seem like and even bigger cookie for me to eat!
kp: Wooooow! That sounds delicious! Anyone else? Come on....Angie, sweetheart, how about you? Where would you explore?
Angie: ............My father's body.
kp: uh..ooooh?
Angie: ...because he has a MAN'S PARTS!!!
kp: ???

Seriously, how many jobs are there where you get to laugh at moments like these every single day? It is amazing to stop and remember that this is the second language of these eight-year-olds. Whenever they hear a new word, they are so anxious to know it's meaning. I see them furrowing their brows, moving their lips around the word's unfamiliarity, whispering it softly to themselves. When they have the confidence, they jump up and ask it's meaning.

Zorro: Teacher? What is this boogie word?
(Yes, that is the name he chose for himself.)
kp: haha, that's a great word, Zorro! Boogie means to dance! You know! To party!
Teacher waves her hands above her head while smiling and wiggling her bottom.
Zorro: Ooooooh. Yes. Boogie.
Zorro thinks for a bit.
Zorro: Oh! Yes! Teacher! My cousin! Birthday! Ten boys! Ice Cream! Eeeeeeeeverybodyyyyy booooogie!!!!!! Yes?

However, while my students have mastered the use of the word boogie, they are unable to speak it without waving their hands above their heads while smiling and wiggling their bottoms like teacher.

Needless to say, I am having a great time here in Seoul. My days are busy and pass quickly, and my evenings and weekends are filled with relaxation, video-chats home, great food, and great outings with some very welcoming new friends.

Today is Lunar New Year's Eve, one of the most important holidays in Korea. As soon as my Bob Marley playlist reaches it's end, I will drink up the last of my morning coffee, put on some warm clothes and head downtown to explore and take photos of a thousand-year-old palace.

Tonight I will ring in the new year with some coworkers, and I am on holidays from school until Wednesday. We will be ushering in the year of the Ox, my year. It is my hope that this will be a year of strength, growth and discovery. I wish you all a (second) "Happy New Yeeeear!" and advise you to keep your shoes in the bedroom and not at the entrance to your home---it is believed that ghosts roam on the eve of lunar new year and steal shoes that are their size.

kp

p.s. On Friday I met the lovely, talented and dynamic Danielle of Chubbo Chubbington (http://tuesdaysborrower.blogspot.com/). *swoon* .....She's awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do ghosts need shoes for?

Olga said...

Hey lady, you ever plan on updating this again?? Inquiring minds want to know ;)