Monday, January 12, 2009

Excerpts From a Letter Home

While this blog has been somewhat useless for my immediate family---they're usually updated prior to me posting---I thought I would leave a quick update in the form of a "snippet" from an email to my Mom.

"I have two days off attached to next weekend for lunar new year, so I've been sending emails trying to arrange a temple stay in one of the Buddhist temples up in the mountains surrounding Seoul. Should be really cool! You get to attend tea ceremonies, morning meditation, yoga, hiking and eat delicious vegetarian food.

Also, I just spent $4 on the most soul-satisfying restaurant meal of my life! Another teacher was heading to his favourite soup place after school and I tagged along. I couldn't believe that 4000 won bought me a bubbling little cauldron of tender beef in savory broth with leeks, potato, cabbage (but not like we know it) and a big bowl of rice to spoon into it at will. While it was a world away and full of flavours I had never tasted, it gave me the comfort, nutrition and warmth of a soup simmering all day in a familiar kitchen in Hamilton.
kp
xoxox"

2 comments:

danielle said...

Hey Kristen! Looks like you're doing well here in Korea. Hope the transition continues to be full of small and beautiful joys! My true32 email is down and I didn't know it hadn't been working right. I got your email, but I can't get back to it to reply to you! I'm thinking of you and I'll definitely reply the minute I'm able!

Paul and Brenda said...

Hey Miss "PIERson", glad to see that you made it to Korea because...they were expecting you! Sounds like you're having a blast and making some cool new friends! The busy season has ended for us Retail slaves and if you can believe it, I STILL haven't heard about the job at Children's Aid...argh! Oh well, no news is good news, right? I am so sorry that I couldn't make it to your Farewell Extravaganza, I hope you had a drink on me. We all miss you desperately at The Pier
:) Brenda M (aka, #1)