Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chop it to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQV0nj9Cl5o&feature=related

Check it out. An interesting way of demonstrating how to hold those elegant (and clumsy!) sticks. Korean chopsticks are actually a bit different, though. They are long, stainless steel or silver, and are flat. The tops are carved with beautiful patterns, and I've found them to be much more difficult to use! My contract promises me a full, sit down (on the floor) lunch for each full day of work. While my World-traveller Mom trained me on these babies from a very young age, I have never managed to survive one meal without dropping food into my lap, onto the table, or shooting a shitake across the restaurant after attempting a sneaky spearing method.

This is why, friends, I have been scouring YouTube for instruction vids. This one caught my eye. However, I'm not too sure what the "spirit" is, and why I should make a purchase. Any clues?

kp

2 comments:

danielle said...

You know, I've been using Korean chopsticks for a while (almost a year) and had a year's training with the Korean boyfriend before moving here, and I STILL get food EVERYWHERE when I eat. I wear my dinner almost every day. But no sweat. It gets easier.
And good news, you ALWAYS get a spoon, too! So, you can always scoop whatever it is up into your spoon with your chopsticks. Works like a charm for slippery things, like tofu!
No worries!

KRISTEN said...

Hahaha! Thanks for the sympathy. I'll have to resist reaching for that spoon at the beginning of each meal!
kp