Thursday, December 25, 2008

That's.....it?! Interviewed and Approved

After my initial interview appointment in Toronto was cancelled due to an early Winter storm, I finally made it to the consulate last Monday. It was short. Really short. FIVE MINUTES short.

Upon arrival, I found about 10 other twenty-somethings awaiting their interviews. Looking down at my very best jeans (with long undies underneath) tweed coat and boots, I began to worry that my warmest-is-best philosophy for making the bus-train-subway journey to Toronto was not the wisest. The other kids were in business attire. Actually, not really business attire. They were dressed the way that I do when attending weddings and other formal gatherings. I felt pretty scrappy.

However, the gorgeous Korean administrative assistant called my name first, and led me through the immaculate conference room to the gentleman conducting the interviews. Luckily my jeans and snow/ice/sidewalk-salt-encrusted boots were hidden under the boat-sized mahogany desk. The gentleman was kind, pleasant, and asked me a few questions about my reasons for coming to SK and my experience in the public school system in Ontario. In less than five minutes, the interview was over.

Knowing that I was approved, finished and ready-to-go, I smiled a "payce-out-suckaaaaahs" smile at my more fashionable counterparts in the waiting room and headed out into the snow again. At last! I had jumped through the final hoop!

However, my Canada Post tracking number informs me that my Visa and Passport were not mailed to me by Wednesday as promised. With Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's Day all being business holidays falling within the next week, I am skeptical of the possibility that I will leave for SK on January 2nd as planned. BAH!

I'll get back to you soon with a departure date.

Merry Christmas/Winter Solstice/Hanukka/Kwanzaa to all! And to all a goodnight!

kp

No comments: